Wednesday, October 11, 2017

ArcaOS 5.0 on an Aspire One Computer

I have an Aspire One laptop computer. It is a small one. It is not the newest but I like it because it is small and easily transported. 
It looks somewhat like this one.

ReactOS is an open source clone of Windows by Microsoft. I tried installing ReactOS on it. It was not successful. The USB support is still being worked on. It did not get far. The optical drive I used was connected by USB. ReactOS is still in alpha. It is (at the time of this writing) at 0.4.6. I will check for each new release in hopes of it reaching a point where it can be installed via an USB connected optical drive (DVD re writable).

There is an open source free clone of  MS-DOS / PC-DOS called FreeDOS. I usually give it a try. It is an updated version of the older DOS. One can run the older DOS programs / games with it. I tried it on an older laptop and it installed (the laptop was a Win 8 one but it eventually failed). I decided not to use it on this one.

I tried and was able to install ArcaOS on it. It is nicknamed / code named 'blue lion'. It is by Arca Noae. It was easier to install than I expected. I installed it using an USB connected optical drive (DVD re writable). Normally one has a code to enter before one could install an operating system. This installation disc already had it as part of the installation software. I bought it online and downloaded the software. I 'burned' it to a DVD compact disc. It was installed quite easily. It detected and installed drivers for most of the hardware. The sound works. It detects the USB optical drive, USB mouse and flash drives. It has great audio and video.

It was not a perfect installation. It is installed and running but does not detect all of the hardware. It does not see the wifi port. Once it is working, I will be able to connect to my wifi router and my wireless printer. I am getting help for these problems at the forum of OS/2 World. The forum and site not only covers OS/2 Warp by IBM but also eComStation and ArcaOS. OS/2 World is an international site for all things Warp / eCS / ArcaOS.

Now to find software for the operating system. I believe it one can install software for OS/2 Warp, eComStation and ArcaOS. I will be trying different software for it and (hopefully) blogging about the results. Arca Noae (at their shop) also sells software for its operating system. 

I have found that Hobbes NMSU has a lot of software for OS/2 Warp, eCS and ArcaOS. It is free to download the software.


I will be trying different operating systems on different computers. 
I will blog on them when I do. 





my personal site that needs a lot of work
a work in progress even it is very slow progress



my art on items
Cafe Press prints my art on different items that can be bought online.
I need better pictures - hoping coming soon

No comments:

Post a Comment